The Sidney Public Library is looking for a focused, forward thinking individual to fill a part-time position as Library Assistant. We will consider candidates that exhibit professionalism, customer service skills, computer literacy, and teamwork. A genuine interest in books, reading and readers is a plus. This position reports to the Library Director and works with a dedicated staff. Flexible scheduling (within hours posted below), 10-15 hours per week.
Please send a completed job application (found here) to Riley Moreland at the Sidney Public Library, 1002 Illinois St., PO Box 479, Sidney, IA, 51652.
The full job description follows:
Library experience or business/office experience or associates degree.
Requires thorough knowledge of library practices, techniques and materials. Familiarity with library materials related to needs and interests of patrons is essential.
The person holding this position participates in all library operations as necessary to ensure high levels of service to the community and has responsibility for other duties as assigned by the director and board. This position reports to the library director.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Works at circulation desk.
- Processes library materials as necessary: check-in, check-out, shelving
- Maintains and shelves newspaper and magazine collections.
- Answers telephone, directs calls and responds to inquiries when necessary.
- Responsible for requesting and sending inter-library loan requests.
- Assists patrons as required with book requests, reference requests, copies, faxes, computer usage, and other requests that fall within the category of library services.
- Empties book return.
- Works with members of the public wishing to use the community room. Maintains community room schedule.
- Maintains familiarity with and follows policies and procedures.
- Communicates policies and procedures to patrons as needed.
- Works closely with the director.
- Maintains familiarity with books, authors, publishers, and other library materials.
- Serves as resource person for reference. Understands and uses standard library reference tools, including on-line catalog and electronic resources. Assists other staff in use of the same.
- Recommends improvements in policies, procedures, services, etc. to the director and communicates concerns.
- Attends local, state and national library meetings as requested.
- Assists with cataloging and management of database.
- Organizes donated materials.
- Helps maintain the on-going book sale.
- Assists the director with programming and public relations.
- Coordinates and supervises volunteers when needed.
- Represents the library in the community and elsewhere, and promotes library services when appropriate.
- Keeps accurate records of overdue and unreturned materials.
- Uses computer for reports and record keeping.
- Sends overdue notices, billing letters and final notification letters.
- Keeps records of patrons with debts or obligations to the library.
- Helps to maintain the library with light housekeeping as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the director.
Monday: 11am - 7pm
Tuesday 9am - 1pm
Wednesday: 12pm - 7pm
Friday: 10am - 5pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm