Use a Computer
- Five free Internet access computers for patrons are available, all of which are connected to a printer
- E-mail can be checked
- The library has wireless networking, thus personal laptops may be used
- All users must sign in and out at the circulation desk before using a computer
- A parent/guardian must accompany any child on the computer who has not completed third grade.
- A one-time parental permission form is required before any minor (18 or younger) can use the Internet.
COMPUTER AND INTERNET USE POLICY (2003) rev.2007
• To fulfill its mission to provide its patrons with access to informational and recreational materials in various formats, the Sidney Public Library (SPL) provides public usage to the Internet.
• Individual Internet usage will not be monitored by library staff. Some information on the Internet may be found offensive, inaccurate, or inappropriate by individuals. Parents, guardians, or care givers of minors are responsible for their children’s use of the Internet. The public library, unlike schools, does not serve in place of a parent. The SPL is not responsible for information accessed on the Internet.
• The SPL Computer and Internet use policy must be read and Computer and Internet Access form must be completed before initial use.
• Any unauthorized, illegal, or unethical activities are prohibited and will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. No intentional creating, receiving or displaying of text or graphics that may be construed as pornographic, obscene, or offensive to library customers or staff will be tolerated.
• Workstation time will be limited to one 30 minute segment at a time. An additional 30 minutes will be permitted if no one else is waiting. However, a total of 1 hour per day will be allowed.
• No more than two patrons per computer will be allowed.
• A parent/guardian must accompany any child on the computer who has not completed third grade.
• Because of potential for illicit computer viruses, the use of personal software on the library computer is NOT allowed. Downloading of files may be done only on floppy disks purchased from the SPL.
• Downloading to the hard drive is prohibited.
• Fees will be charged for any pages printed on library printer.
• The rights and privacy of others will be respected.
• Compliance with copyright and licensing laws is required.
• Misuse of computer or Internet access as determined by library staff will result in the loss of your computer privileges as follows:
first offense-one week suspension; second offense-three months;third offense-permanent
• The library cannot guarantee a secure connection at all times and in all places within the library.
• The library takes no responsibility for lost data, etc. due to a lost connection.
• Patrons are responsible for maintaining up-to-date antivirus software, firewalls, etc. on their personal computers/laptops.
• All library policies concerning legal and acceptable use of computers and the Internet apply as well as library conduct policies.