Library History

 

For the purpose of broadening general knowledge and cultural interest in the area, the Sidney Woman's Club solicited $100, purchased books and opened the first public library in Sidney, IA. in 1926.  The first location was in a private home. 


Some time later the library was moved to a room above the U.S. Post Office on the north side of the Sidney square.  In the 1940s the library was relocated to a room in the basement of the Fremont County Savings Bank Building, on the corner of Illinois and Cass Streets.  At this time, the City assumed the cost of books and librarian salary and appointed a five-member board of trustees.  The library was open Wednesday and Saturday afternoons.

A major move and expansion of the Sidney Public Library came in 1956 as it moved to quarters in the newly-completed City Hall, 604 Clay St.  In 1992, because of vacancies, a seven-member board was appointed by the Sidney City Council, a new librarian hired, hours were added, and the library portion was painted.  Between 1992 and 2000, with the addition of new books, a video program, and finally computers, library circulation and usage increased to the point it became apparent that more library space was a must. 
 

Adhering to State Library of Iowa Standards, ie. a certified director, specific hours, budget and expenditure measures and many others, the Sidney Public Library began receiving some state funding, along with city and county dollars.  Receiving grants from Vision Iowa, Roy Carver Foundation, Iowa West, and the Fremont County Endowment Board, and numerous donations from the City of Sidney, civic organizations, and individuals, the new building plan was born.  Construction was started November, 2004 on the site of the old Sidney High School,  donated by the Sidney Community Schools.  The 4,335 sq. ft. building at 1002 Illinois St. built by Andersen Construction, Council Bluffs and Calvin Hinz architects, Omaha became the new home of the Sidney Public Library, and was dedicated on September 18, 2005.

Accreditation was awarded in July, 2006 and is maintained to this date.